Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Blast From the Past

Upon pondering my nearing advenures across the pond I have been reflecting my last advenures. So here goes nothing. I left in September of 2006 and arrived on a beautiful and HOT day in London. I couldn't sleep on the plane I was nervous and excited and not sure what to expect. I was living in a different country with complete strangers, I was wondering if I could do it and if I made the right decision to go. Well I did and it ended up being the best experience of my life!

I think about some of my favorite things and a few come to mind, St pauls comes to mind. It is a Cathedral in Downtown London, built by the architect Wren, who inspected it from time to time when it was being built. It is beautiful, gold leafing, huge dome ceilings, just beautiful. My favorite part of this trip was going to the top, we climbed stairs forever and at the very top we walked out and got the best view London has to offer. It was worth every last stair and being terribly afraid of heights!






Another was our trip to Stourhead, this is a beautiful Gardens, it is seen in the new version of Pride and Predjudice. It was Beautiful. In the middle is this lake that was man made and very beautiful. So needless to say it was breathtaking. the point of stourhead is that it is an estate and the bigger it was the more weathly you were and this was one of the largest we saw. One really cool thing I saw was a church that worshipped in for a long time and it was one of those moments standing there I came to appreciate the beliefs others hold. I could appreciate and understand the beauty and nature it had to offer, people worshipped God here, they loved God and though their beliefs may have differed from mine they worshipped the same God and he loved them as much as he loved me. It is an experience I will always be grateful for.



Among other trips I think of our trips to Scotland and Paris. They both seemed so fun, minorly dramatic ususally because something happened where we made them so, but so amazing. Our trip to Scotland took us on a bus to liverpool, the lake distict, Scotland, York, Bakewell, and back to London, very cool places like the docks in Liverpool where I became very grateful to my ancestors for giving up their lives for their God, lakeside where I spent part of my evening thinking praying by myself in the dark on the lake dock, and Edinburgh, doing Ghost tours with Dr Wrathall and his son. This trip is so full of fond and precious memories. France is a world of it's own. I got hit on by men there and no one else had that problem, why me? The eiffel tower, the beautiful Louvre with the Mona Lisa to the Sewer Musuem, what a trip! I will always look back and think about the amazing things I learned about myself and those who I made friends with.



Last but not looked over is how I feel about London! It is my home away from home. Gertrude Stein said "America is my country but Paris is my home town", somehow I feel like that about London. I feel very normal there. It is weird how that works, but it does. London has so much to offer, so many types of culture, people from everywhere, good food, theatre, art, Big Ben and so much more! I Love it there.


Well I think that is it for this post, thanks for reliving the fun memories, I hoped you loved them as much as I did! For now Adieu!






No comments: